Friday, July 31, 2015

A Shout-Out to the Jesuits

Image of Ignatius from Jesuits.org
Today is the feast day for Ignatius of Loyola in the Roman Catholic Church, and is the day on which the founder of the Jesuits died in 1556. A brief sketch of his life may be found here. My interaction with the Jesuits has been limited but as I think about the legacy and influence of Ignatius, I cannot help but think of the influence of two of my Jesuit professors at the University of Notre Dame. Brian Daley, S.J., is an award-winning theologian and patristics scholar, and Jerry Neyrey, S.J., is a (now retired) New Testament scholar who was instrumental in bringing social scientific approaches to the study of the Bible. Aside from their impressive scholarship and influence in their fields, both are tremendous teachers, mentors, and living examples of “faith seeking understanding.”

During my time at Notre Dame I worked more closely with Father Neyrey since he served on my dissertation committee, and I have always deeply appreciated his intellectual generosity in sharing of his time and his own research findings and source materials. I also appreciate his ability to provide pithy and incisive critique—a skill of his of which I was often the beneficiary and which I know has greatly influenced my own work.

In a recent interview in America, Father Daley called for “well-informed, generous moderation” in theological discussions today, in contrast to the kinds of polarizing and caustic kinds of expression that are seen in many quarters of our culture today. Such well-informed, generous moderation is what he and Father Neyrey modeled for me at Notre Dame. He explains: “A thoughtful and sympathetic understanding of tradition…frees us to imagine what the church can best be today and tomorrow.” This, to me, is a large part of what a university education, within the context of an institution grounded in a particular faith tradition, can provide to students. It can help them to understand their tradition in ways that allow them to appreciate it more fully. And it also gives them the tools to think critically and creatively about their tradition, the traditions of others, and the ways in which these traditions can inform the problems and challenges confronting the world around them.

In the interview, Father Daley noted his plans to continue researching and writing and also providing spiritual direction and pastoral ministry even after he retires in a few years: “For Jesuits, thinking and writing and teaching are all forms of what St. Ignatius called ‘helping souls,’ which is what we do.” I very much resonate with that idea and have found that for those called to higher education--even as other tasks, roles, and responsibilities press in--, thinking well, writing well, and teaching well remain at the heart of our work.




No comments:

Post a Comment